Friday, April 16, 2010

How to help people struggling after the Yushu Earthqake


Recently, a beautiful place called Yushu, home to some of my dear friends, was hit by a serious earthquake that has destroyed over 70% of the buildings in the area and killed over 600 people and injured over 10,000.

Yushu is a beautiful place up in the mountains in Qinghai Province, China (at about the elevation of Lhasa). Its population is about 90% Tibetan and mostly very poor. I spent 2 weeks this last summer under the hospitality of some of the loveliest people I've met abroad.

(These pictures are of Yushu and some friends before the earthquake.)

And now I'm worried for their lives. I haven't heard from them yet. Phone lines are all down.

But right now, what the survivors really need is food, water, shelter and warm blankets (which are having trouble getting there because of the altitude and isolation of the area).

PLEASE HELP: I have found a few grassroots organizations that foreigners (aka. us) can donate to that I would trust with being efficient and trusted by the locals:

The Tibetan Village Project

Machick

If you can donate, any small amount would be appreciated. Also, please pass on this information to others who you think would be interested in donating and helping out.

Thank you so much for your help.

Sincerely,
Anne

No comments: