Friday, August 22, 2008

arrival in Taigu August 20

wow. lovely. I knew I would like the place before I got there because it was raining hard in Taiyuan, and the woman who met me at the airport didn't speak a word of English and had a robust smile. As we drove from the airport to Taigu, she spoke quickly to the man driving. But I liked her immediately because not only could I understand a fair amount of what she said, but she was super animated when speaking--you could tell she was a gutsy woman just from the way she spoke. I liked the man driving too, because even though he spoke to her in a thick accent that sounded like Vietnamese to me, he spoke slowly and clearly to me in Mandarin when they figured out I could speak it.
It was dark and wet when we got in, so I just washed up and conked out in bed.

No comments: