Saturday, September 27, 2008

Adventure Run #1

When I am in a new place I feel that part of my way of figuring out where I am is to get lost in it. Running is usually my mode of transportation.

So one morning before my classes, instead of my usual route around the border of the campus, I decided to step outside the walls. (The entire University--like almost every other school in China, from Elementary school to University—is surrounded by a large cement wall). I could just feel the excitement under my feet as I headed out of the gates under the curious stares from the guards, the taxi cab drivers waiting at the gate and every other person who walked or biked along the dirt road that went by the entrance. I headed around the wall, followed it a ways just to see where it went, found how to get to North Yard (the small neighborhood full of restaurants and shops right next to the university) without going through the gates, ran along through the corn fields, past stares from farmers and bikers and the large group of people constructing a house. I ended up on a main road that I hoped headed back towards the campus, but as I followed it, I realized that the tall apartment buildings where the teachers stayed were sinking further and further to my left. I realized that the train tracks on the bridge above the road were headed in the right directions so I ran up some stone steps built into the wall and ended up on a small path running next to the railroad. I followed the path for a ways and was pleasantly surprised by how alone I was, until a train went by and got some good stares from at least a hundred Chinese people. Suddenly Nong Da was again moving slowly to the left as I ran and I had to find a way down. The tracks took another overpass over a road that I knew was really close to the entrance, but there were no convenient steps this time. I followed the top of a cement wall that led down from an overpass, got barked at by a small dog that came up to my mid-shins and only got one surprised stare from a woman who happened to be looking up from her bicycle as I was walking down. I made it back safe, tired, contented and extremely excited that I had finally been comfortable and brave enough to have had a run by myself outside the walls in Taigu. I realized that I didn't have to go very far outside of campus to find a little adventure.

Terror set in though when Zhao Hong, the teacher in charge of us foreign teachers here gave me a call soon after I came back. “I need to see you in my office” was the approximate translation of what she said. Oh no, I thought, someone who saw me on the train or the lady who was on the bike knew her, or maybe the guards mentioned that I had been outside the gate running for almost an hour. I was in trouble. I went into her office and she began, “Anne, there are certain traditions in China revolving around teachers...” Alright, I thought, preparing myself to be yelled at, here comes the explanation of why teachers are not allowed to be out running all over the countryside. “...and one of them is Teachers Day. Here’s your bonus.” She handed me 200 yuan. I must have looked a little stunned because she reassured me, “Take it. All the teachers receive the same amount.” I couldn’t believe how well the morning was going. I thanked her and left to finish getting ready for my first class.

1 comment:

nanotone said...

Anne, there are certain traditions in China revolving around teachers. Teacher occupy a role in society that students respect and look up to. Imagine, then, the consequences if teachers are allowed to be out running all over the countryside. What kind of example would that set? Students would follow suit, and soon you'd have nothing but hordes of kids tearing through the countryside. And we simply can't have that, can we?

I'm glad it ended without incident...