Thursday, September 11, 2008

Mooncakes!

The Mid-Autumn Festival is this Sunday, which means that I have been stalking up on mooncakes in hopes of distracting myself from the topic of the festival—home. For everyone who cannot be at home for the festival (and that is a lot of people in China), the festival is about remembering and missing the people you love who are far away. There are a ton of famous poets who have written famous poems about missing family for this holiday. (I have yet to see a poem that is about being with your family and enjoying it. It seems as though all these poets were quite the travelers.) All I can think of all this is that I don’t need a holiday to remember this...
But I do love mooncakes, whether it is the Mid-Autumn Festival or not. I already tried like 4 different flavors in search of a Red Bean one. (I still haven’t quite figured out how to read the ingredient characters yet.) One of the cakes I had no idea what flavor it was, even after I tried a bite. Nor did the Chinese person who tried a piece. I think it was like an everything mooncake. There were peanuts and rose flavor and some other strange things...it was like the fruitcake of mooncakes. But not bad tasting. I could get used to Chinese style fruitcake.

2 comments:

nanotone said...

(Hi Annie!) oh, and I love that once you bite and fight your way through the crust and the lotus filling to get to the salted duck egg yolk at the center, it looks like a round moon in the middle of the cake, at which point you look up and if it's not too cloudy you see the full moon shimmering in the cool night sky and it's just so beautiful.

Isn't the lunar calendar great?

shirley said...

anne!! wow, i want mooncakes, save some for me, haha :D aww, you talking about mooncakes makes me want to go back to taiwan... sighz...